Monday, November 5, 2012

He said, she said.

Along with our auto insurance bill, guess what other bill we just received in the mail?  Life insurance...for Thomas.  Not nearly as budget-busting as the auto bill, but still...another bill.  Last year, Jake insisted on getting him a whole life policy.  (See my handsome smurf boys below.)

He said it was an investment, because it would build cash value and would one day be a good gift for Thomas.



I said we couldn't afford it.


He said we couldn't afford not to have it.


I said sure we could.


He asked me what we would do if something bad happened.


I asked him what if nothing bad happened.


In the end, he won.  We bought policies for him and for Thomas, too.


I'm still not so sure about having a policy for Thomas, but I was convinced that we needed a life insurance policy for Jake.  Thomas and I would be devastated if something happened to Jake, but we'd also be financially ruined.  I am a stay-at-home-mom, so we wouldn't have any income until I was able to get a job.  I am a teacher, but I'm not sure how I would be able to afford childcare and the mortgage without Jake's income.


I don't plan for anything bad to happen to my husband, but it's nice not to have to worry about how we would survive (financially) if something did happen.  I suppose I'll pay the bill.


Give Jake a call to figure out your life insurance options...252-752-8821.

3 comments:

  1. Our kids are riders on my policy now (we changed), but we did have whole life on all 5 of them. We changed b/c we wanted to put more money on me and we gave up the 'gift' of whole life to them later in exchange for that. either way...I feel better knowing we're prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the insurance for the men. We bought life insurance for all of us through Daniel's work and are so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think life insurance is important for men, women, and children. If money is so tight that you absolutely cannot afford separate policies for the children then riders are the way to go like Beth said. I still remember hearing the story of a woman who burst into tears as she talked about how she was still making monthly payments on the medical bills and funeral bills of her dead daughter. I also remember the relief of a family who had an insurance policy on their little girl who struggled with cancer for many years and then passed- and they were able to take care of all the expenses with the insurance money. Insurance on kids IS important.

    Also, don't discount the importance of life insurance on a wife/woman. The average cost of a funeral in America is between $8000-$10,000 (that is AVERAGE to low) and even people who are in a good financial situations don't generally have that kind of money laying around. That doesn't include the price of any remaining medical bills that might be incurred during the dying process. Plus the fact that if a wife is suddenly gone who is going to take care of the kids? Child care is extremely expensive. Not only that but what if he wants to take time off from work to grieve? I know a man who lost his wife due to a car accident and after everything got settled the first thing he did was go get life insurance because he was suddenly aware of how much harder death is when you have no money.

    I'm all about some life insurance... the younger the better!

    ReplyDelete